Kholeka Gcaleka (born in Johannesburg) is the current South African Deputy Public Protector. She was appointed by the South African president, President Cyril Ramaphosa.
Gcaleka was an advisor to Malusi Gigaba when he was the minister of home affairs and finance.
She was born in born in Johannesburg and grew up between the city of gold and Umzimkhulu, KwaZulu-Natal.
- Name: Kholeka Gcaleka
- Age: 38 years
- Gender: female
- Position: Deputy Public Protector
- Nationality: South African
She was born in Johannesburg and grew up in KwaZulu Natal. Kholeka Gcaleka is 38 years old.
During an interview session for the position of deputy protector in Parliament which held in November 2019. She said that her value system is mostly brought together by her upbringing.
Among the seven (7) hopeful candidates, Gcaleka became the one to take over the position from advocate Kevin Malunga.
Gcaleka will take over from Malunga whose term expires in December.
She was raised in a white family under the care of a mother who was a domestic worker.
“I was raised in a white family where my mother was a domestic worker. Therefore, for me, my identity is of pivotal importance.
Each time I went home with my parents, I always had a problem of not being able to speak my own language.” she said.
According to her, growing up and returning to rural areas let her experience widespread inequality and poverty.
She is currently studying LLM, an advanced academic law degree, in Commercial Law. She is a graduate of Law from the University of KwaZulu-Natal.
- Former special advisor and senior state advocate.
- Former senior deputy director of public prosecutions
- Admitted Advocate of the High Court of South Africa
- Former national chairperson of the Society of State Advocates of South Africa
- Member of the Black Lawyers Association
- Director at Khonconsulting to date
To utilize her legal acumen in enhancing good governance, ethical, sound legal and strategic advice and practice.
The Democratic Alliance and the Economic Freedom Fighters did not support her selection from the seven (7) candidates.
Their reason was that she remained Gigaba’s advisor even after he was found guilty of lying under oath by a law court.
- “What we know about new Deputy Public Protector KHOLEKA GCALEKA“. Power987 retrieved 2020-31-01