Nicky Oppenheimer Biography
Nicky Oppenheimer (born 8 June 1945) is a South African billionaire businessman, philanthropist and the third richest man in Africa.
He the chairman of De Beers diamond mining company. Nicky’s parents are Harry and Bridget Oppenheimer. He is granddad is Ernest Oppenheimer, the founder of Anglo America.
His father was of German Jewish descent.
|Full name||Nicky Oppenheimer|
|Age||74 years old|
|Wife||Orillia Lasch Oppenheimer|
|Son||Jonathan M. E. Oppenheimer|
|Net worth||7.3 Billion USD (Forbes)|
|Source of wealth||Diamonds|
He studied at Harrow School and Christ Church in Oxford and graduated with degrees in Philosophy, Politics, and Economics.
He was born on the 8th of June, 1945, and currently (2019) Nicky Oppenheimer is 74 years old.
He was born into the family of Harry Fredrick Oppenheimer, a prominent businessman in South Africa. He was also one of the world’s richest men.
Fredrick was voted 60th in the SABC3’s Great South Africans in 2004. He was the chairman of Anglo American Corporation or 25 years. He was also the chairman of De Beers for 27 years until he retired and his son and heir, Nicky took on with the position.
Nicky lost his father in the year 2000. Bridget Oppenheimer is his mother. His sister’s name is Mary Slack and she lives in Johannesburg.
Orillia Lasch Oppenheimer is the wife of Nicholas F. Oppenheimer. She is the daughter of Helli Lasch, who is a renowned business tycoon.
Jonathan M. E. Oppenheimer is his son. He was born on 18 November 1969. Like his father, he is a businessman too who has put in his efforts in the progress of De Beers and Anglo American Corporation continuing the legacy.
He worth USD 6.8 billion as of November 2014. He is married to Jennifer Ward and has three children.
According to Forbes profile on Nicky Oppenheimer, he has an estimated net worth of 7.3 billion USD as of 2019.
- Joined Anglo American in 1968 and appointed a director in 1974 and then deputy chairman in 1983.
- In 2001 he resigned and remained a non-executive director until 2011.
- Appointed deputy chairman of the Diamond Trading Company in 1984.
- Deputy chairman of De Beers Consolidated Mines in 1985.
- Appointed the Chairman of the Diamond Trading Company in 1985.
- Chairman of the De Beers Group from 1998-2012.
- The Sunday Times Rich List 2018 as the 23rd richest person in the United Kingdom, with a reported fortune of £5.5 billion.
- The richest person in South Africa on Forbes Rich List for 2019, with his fortune, reported as US$7.3 billion.
Awards And Achievements
- The first recipient to be rewarded with an honorary doctorate in technology by Technikon Witwatersrand, South Africa.
- Awarded the Presidential Order of Honor.
- Honorary fellowship from the London School of Economics.
- Nick and his son established the Brenthurst Foundation to strengthen Africa’s economy in 2005.
- Engaged in environmental conservation and preservation.
- Donated 10 million USD to fund undergraduate and postgraduate South African students.
- Chaired the Trust from 2014-2018 and is currently serving as the Deputy Chair.
“Africa needs a hand-up and not a hand-out.”
“Diamonds are a key component in the campaign to make poverty history.”
“It is only through developing and maximizing all its natural resources that a sustainable future for Africa and its people can be secured.”
“I am one of the affluent rich living the good life. But I like to think that I am doing my bit to resolve the problems of Africa and am certainly committed to Africa in the long run.”
If you believe that this article is Incorrect, Incomplete, Plagiarised, violates your Copyright right. Please Request a review